Raising a child with a developmental disability can come with more costs than raising a child without the same needs. Many states offer family support grants or cash subsidies to offset these expenses. Depending on the state, after establishing eligibility for this assistance, families might receive monthly cash benefits or one-off grants for specific needs.

The states below offer assistance to families supporting children with developmental disability. You can discover what kinds of family support grant or cash subsidy is available, as well as how to apply.

Due to the economic downturn, the number of states that offer a family support or cash subsidy has decreased in the last few. However, if your state is not listed, try contacting your local developmental disabilities organization and ask what types of financial supports are available.

 Find Support Grants and Cash Subsidies


Department of Economic Security Division of Developmental Disabilities

The Client Services Trust Fund provides one-time cash assistance to help persons with developmental disabilities and their families to increase independence, promote self-determination and to support community participation. The maximum award per individual per request is $3,500. Requests that involve matters of significant risk to health and safety are given top priority. These funds are very limited.

Client Services Trust Fund Coordinator: 602-542-0419 or visit the Department of Economic Security Division of Developmental Disabilities for more information.


Department of Developmental Services
Individual and family grants are available to support individuals with developmental disabilities who want to remain at home. These grants can fund support and services such as:

  • Respite
  • In-home  and behavioral supports
  • Skill training
  • Family training
  • Support coordination, and more

Find out more about the Connecticut DDS’s Individual and Family Grantsapply or call 866-433-8192. If you already have a case manager from DDS, ask him or her about the grants.


Delaware Department of Health and Services, Division of Developmental Disabilities
Family Support Services provides support to families caring for individuals with developmental disabilities. These services include:

  • Parent training
  • Reimbursement
  • Crisis intervention
  • In-home care
  • Recreation
  • Social supports, and more

Visit the Delaware Department of Health and Services for more information.

Delaware Lifespan Respite Care Network
This private group of provider agencies manages a respite care fund. The goals are to provide information, ensure an adequate supply of quality respite care services and assist in making respite affordable. The fund is for families that don’t qualify for other respite through the state agency or school.

Apply here.


Department of Human Services (DHS)
The Family Support Subsidy program consists of direct cash assistance in the form of a monthly payment to families of children up to age 18 with developmental disabilities.

To apply, complete this application form (PDF) and return it to your local DHS office or the DHS central office:

Family Support Subsidy Program, Division of Children and Family Services
1305 E. Walnut Street
Des Moines, IA 50319-0114.


Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO)

Direct financial subsidy is available to children (birth to age 21) with developmental disabilities. Direct financial subsidy payments are made to the family, on a quarterly basis, as a reimbursement for the additional expenses associated with supporting a child who has a disability in the home.

Applicants must apply through their local CDDO.

Application for Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO) (PDF).


Department of Health and Hospitals, Office for Citizens with Developmental Disabilities
Cash subsidy provides a monthly stipend of $254 per month and Family Support provides an average of $2,900 through prioritization based on need.

Learn more about the Flexible Family Fund Program, and apply at regional offices.


Department of Health and Human Services: Child and Family Services, Child Behavioral Services
Individual planning funds are designed to provide flexible short-term, time-limited support. Families cannot use the funds for services that can be addressed by other funding sources.

Learn more about Individual Planning Funds. See the list of regional case management offices.


Department of Community Health, Family Support Subsidy
Michigan families with an income of less than $60,000 may be eligible for a monthly cash benefit of $222 if they have a child who lives in the family home who has been found to have a developmental disability by their local or intermediate school district.

Learn more about the Family Support Subsidy Program, or contact Cheryl A. Thelen at (517) 241-5773  or [email protected].


Department of Human Services
The Family Support Grant Program aims to prevent or delay the out-of-home placement of children with disabilities and to promote family health and social well-being. Children living in licensed residential facilities and families with children under the age of 21 are eligible where annual family income is below $92,100.

Annual grants up to $2,981 can be used to assist with higher-than-average expenses related to the child’s disability (not covered by other programs) such as:

  • Computers
  • Medical services
  • Respite care
  • Specialized dietary needs
  • Transportation

Learn more about the Department of Human Services – Disability Services Division, Family Support Grants and locate your county office (PDF).


Department of Health and Human Services
Family Support Funds include financial assistance for in-home training, counseling, cash assistance and more to those who qualify.

Learn more about the Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Mental Health and Developmental Service.

Learn more about services offered.

New Hampshire

Department of Health and Human Services
There are 10 regional offices manage supports for families and people with disabilities. Funds are available for respite care, home modifications and other needs.

For more information visit Family Support Services and the local regional office to apply.

North Dakota

Department of Human Services (DHS)
The Family Subsidy Program reimburses families for excess expenses related to their child’s disability. Family Subsidy offers support to enable a family to keep their child in their home. The child may be eligible for Family Subsidy through age twenty-one (21).

Apply for Family Subsidy Program through your local DHS office. Learn more about the North Dakota – Department of Human Services Family Subsidy Program (PDF), or locate the closest provider of The Family Subsidy Program.


Department of Human Services: Developmental Disabilities Services Division
The Family Support Assistance program provides a monthly cash benefit to families caring for children under age 18 at home. Families receive payments of $250-$400 per month depending on the number of children with disabilities in the home. Those who meet the income eligibility may choose this payment instead of Medicaid Home and Community Based services.

Learn more about The Family Support Assistance programlocate your OKDHS Developmental Disabilities Services Division (DDSD) area office, and apply for Family Support Assistance.

South Carolina

Department of Disabilities and Special Needs (DDSN)
Financial Assistance is available to help individuals and families afford the cost of care for an individual in their own home. Funds are available for transportation, specialized equipment, child care, recreation and other needs. The Disabilities and Special Needs (DSN) Board in your county is the initial point of entry to DDSN.

Learn what types of DDSN services are available. Local DSN Boards are listed beginning on page 32 of the Practical Guide to Services (PDF).


DHS Division of Developmental Disabilities
The Statewide Family Support Program has limited funds for eligible families to purchase services or supports that otherwise are not available, such as:

  • Incontinence supplies
  • Medications,
  • Recreational opportunities
  • Housing modifications, and more.

Find information on the Statewide Family Support Program, or Apply for Family Support Program (PDF).


Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS)
The In-Home and Family Supports program provides direct grants to eligible people and families for services or items that directly support the person to live in his or her home, integrate the person into the community, or promote the person’s self-sufficiency.

Learn more about the In-Home and Family Supports programTo apply, contact local Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services office.


Department of Social and Health Services – Developmental Disabilities Administration
The Individual and Family Services (IFS) Program allows participants to use their allocation to pay for a number of services related to their disability that are identified and agreed to in their Individual Support Plan (ISP).

Learn more about the Individual and Family Services Program, or read the local contact information and brochure (PDF).

Date posted: May 4, 2012. Content created by The University of Maine Center for Community Inclusion and Disability Studies. Last updated: March 21, 2018.

Find similar content about: .