What is an Intellectual or Developmental Disability (IDD) Agency?

An intellectual or developmental disability (IDD) agency is a state organization that funds a wide range of services for people with intellectual or developmental disabilities, including day services and residential services. The types of day services funded vary substantially in their scope and include assisting people to gain employment in the general labor market, assisting people in facility-based work or non-work activities, and assisting people in community non-work activities.

IDD agencies focus on services for people with intellectual or developmental disabilities. People with autism who are on the higher functioning spectrum of the syndrome might find some resistance in being supported by an IDD agency. Each state has different eligibility standards for receiving services. Your local office is the best place to inquire about service availability. 

Make sure you check in with your local IDD office’s service coordinator to know more about how employment services are organized in your state. Although your IDD agency will not provide direct services to you, the service coordinator will be helpful in setting a plan about funding the services that you need. Your service coordinator may also have tips about local employment providers where you can receive the services you need.

Where Can I Go for More Information?

Inquire about your local IDD agency by contacting the state office listed on this website.


  • Invest some time to learn how the system of services works in your areas; it will help you making informed choices. Browse the internet and visit your local IDD agency.
  • Typically, state IDD agencies do not provide direct services. Instead, they fund CRPs to deliver services.
  • IDD agencies often collaborate with VR agencies. VR agencies typically fund the initial placement services until a job is found. Then IDD agencies intervene to fund on-the-job supports when needed. However,contact a services coordinator at your IDD agency to verify how services are delivered in your area.
  • When you contact an IDD agency service coordinator, make sure that you ask for services that lead to

employment in the general labor market.

  • Note that the names of IDD agencies may vary by state. Often, IDD agencies also are called Division or Office of Developmental Disabilities, or Department or Office of Intellectual Disabilities, or Department of Developmental Services. State IDD agencies are funded under the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families and State.
  • Remember: services are at no cost to you although, depending on your financial resources, you may be asked to make a contribution to pay for some services.

To find out about the nearest IDD local agency, you may contact the state IDD agency listed here:


For more about IDD agencies, the NASDDDS.

Date posted: May 23, 2012. Content created by The Institute for Community Inclusion at University of Massachusetts Boston. Last updated: March 21, 2018.

Find similar content about: , .