Autism NOW Regional Summit: Florida
A Free Event, hosted by the Autism NOW Center and the Autism Society of America
Date: July 9-10, 2011
Cost: Registration is FREE, but you must register to attend.
Location: Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center in Orlando, Florida
Rooms: Rooms are $169 per night (until June 15, 2011). Reservations may be made by calling 407-586-2000 and ask for the Autism Society room block.
Address: 6000 W Osceola Parkway, Kissimmee, FL 34746
Parking: is available at the Gaylord Palms for $13 per day
Food: Saturday, July 9 – 8:30 AM – 6:00 PM: Includes lunch. Sunday, July 10 – 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM: Includes buffet-style breakfast.
Join us for the Autism NOW Center’s Florida Regional Summit in Orlando, Florida!
The Florida Regional Summit is a two-day event that is designed to:
- promote relationship-building between families, people who identify as being on the autism spectrum, self-advocates, key stakeholders, and professionals in the areas of autism or developmental disability studies.
- share information and resources related to autism and intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- celebrate the regional autism and intellectual and developmental disability community.
To accomplish this, this regional summit will include:
- interactive discussions and town hall meetings for families, people on the spectrum, and professionals to discuss the meaning of and the future of the autism community;
- breakout sessions by several experts on topics relating to autism in coordination with the Autism Society of America conference;
- keynote speeches from the stars of the recent documentary “Wretches and Jabberers”;
- real-time chat options for people who cannot attend in person in the region as well as for people at the conference who feel more comfortable using Internet-based communication; and
- real-time closed captioning of all summit events and sensory-friendly spaces, lighting, and sound systems for people who may have sensory or auditory processing challenges.
Saturday, July 9: Participants will have the opportunity to several sessions discussing topics that include:
- Strategic IEP Planning
- Journeys and Success Stories
- Future Planning
- Attendees will participate in an Informational Gathering Session where thoughts and opinions may be recorded and sent back to the Administration on Developmental Disabilities.
Saturday’s Summit will feature two keynote presentations. The first will be presented by the stars of the recent documentary film, “Wretches and Jabberers”. For more information on this presentation, please click here. The second keynote speech will be a video presentation from the Commissioner of the Administration on Developmental Disabilities, Sharon Lewis, which will be played during the lunch hour.
Sunday, July 10: The Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN) and Self Advocates Becoming Empowered (SABE) will present a Panel Discussion on Core Values.
ASAN and SABE will also present a series of session discussion topics that include:
- Community Based Employment
Complete a registration form for the Florida Regional Summit. Registration will be determined on a first-come-first-served basis. If you have any difficulties registering, please contact Jennifer at [email protected].