Autism NOW Regional Summit: DC Metropolitan Area
A Free Event, hosted by the Autism NOW Center
Date: May 14-15, 2011
Location: Sheraton Washington North, Beltsville, Maryland
Address: 4095 Powder Mill Road · Beltsville, MD 20705
Join us for the Autism NOW Center’s DC Metropolitan Area Regional Summit in Beltsville, Maryland!
The DC Metropolitan Area Regional Summit is a two-day event that is designed:
- to promote relationship-building between families, people who identify as being on the autism spectrum, key stakeholders in the regions, and professionals (including educators and researchers) in the area of autism of developmental disabilities studies;
- to share information and resources related to the autism and intellectual and developmental disabilities; and
- to celebrate the local and regional autism and intellectual and developmental disability community.
To accomplish this, this regional summit will include:
- interactive discussions and town hall meetings for families, people on the spectrum, and professionals to discuss the meaning of and the future of the autism community;
- mini-breakout sessions by several local and regional experts in topics relating to autism, including employment, safety, disclosure, military family issues, self-advocacy tools, aging issues and long-term supports, environmental health, transition planning, and family support;
- cultural/art displays by local organizations that celebrate the autism and intellectual and developmental disability community;
- presentations from parents and self-advocates about their Vision of the Future for themselves and their loved ones; and
- keynote speeches from federal stakeholders, including Administration on Developmental Disabilities Commission Sharon Lewis;
- real-time chat options for people who cannot attend in person in the region as well as for people at the conference who feel more comfortable using Internet-based communication; and
- real-time closed captioning of all summit events and sensory-friendly spaces, lighting, and sound systems for people who may have sensory or auditory processing challenges.
Schedule at a Glance
Saturday, May 14, 2011
- 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM Continental Breakfast
- 9:00 AM – 10:20 AM Keynote Speakers and Question and Answer Session
- 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM Table Discussions about the meaning and future of the Autism and I/DD Community
- 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM Buffet-Style Lunch
- 1:30 PM – 2:00 PM Explanation of the Self-Determination Principles and the DD Act
- 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM Mini-Breakout Sessions on Important Topics in the Autism and I/DD Community
- 3:45 PM – 4:15 PM Family’s and Self-Advocate’s Visions of the Future Presentations
- 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM Cultural/Art Presentation and Performance
Sunday, May 15, 2011
- 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM Meeting on the Future of and Values for the Autism NOW Center, Led by Self Advocates Becoming Empowered and the Autistic Self Advocacy Network (Includes Brunch)
Complete a registration application for the DC Metropolitan Area Regional Summit. Registration applicants will be determined on a first-come-first-served basis. Applications will be accepted until April 15th, and all applicants will know their status by April 22, 2011. If you have any difficulties registering, please contact Jennifer at [email protected].